Top 10 Open Source Document Management System
File storing and sharing apps are priceless for the numerous benefits they allow users to enjoy. Such as, keeping things paperless, affording high privacy, and having files at fingertips any time anywhere. And when people are fishing for large storage spaces in almost every device, open-source document manager systems only make sense. With Open Source Document Management System, users get to have the fruits of customization.
Here are some benefits of an online open-source document management system:
- Go paperless; less physical space required
- Modify & develop as you like
- Large storage space
- Enhanced security
- Share and collaborate with others
- Easy retrieval
- Improved regulatory compliance
- Backup and disaster recovery
We’ve selected a handful of best open source document management system to outline here. These are:
- WPERP Document Manager
Kimios is free and efficient software that can be used for storing, editing, creating, tracking and managing documents. Kimios offers smart digital workflow solutions and document control. It’s both web-based and mobile.
The website says “Kimios was designed to help companies and departments with a large document flow: Human Resources, Financial Departments, Quality Service, etc.”
One of the unique things about the Kimios software is that it offers direct integration to your Microsoft Office but only under the commercial license. Based on a full service-oriented architecture or SOA, this software functions on a client-server model.
- Makes it easy to create, update or delete documents
- Comes with a customizable search engine
- Has a check-in and check-out feature
- Offers information systems integration
- Create / Update / Delete documents
- Version control to restore the documents
- Customize the repository using metadata
- Connect third parties application to provide meta-values and index
- Customizable search engine
- Bookmarks documents
- Create advanced search requests and bookmarks
- Checkin / Checkout feature
- User rights management
- Standards authentications and security system
- Informations system integration
You can download the source code of the open-source document management system version of Kimios from GitHub. You can also download the Kimios Bundle version from their website.
2. WP ERP Document Manager
WP ERP Document Manager is a complete WordPress document management system.
If you’re using WordPress to manage your business or online venture, you might be interested in WP ERP Document Manager. This plugin runs on the core WP ERP, which is a complete online small business manager on WordPress with HR and CRM modules. This comprehensive document manager stores all sorts of files on this self-hosted HR and CRM managers. WP ERP Document Manager lets you upload, view, and manage any type of docs and files on the backend of your WordPress.
Both managers and staff can attach files to employee profiles, like CVs, certifications, and performance evaluations. You can also upload files to your customer profiles, such as order history, complaints, client details and a lot more.
WP ERP Document Manager is perfect for enterprises and businesses of all sizes.
And if you’re using something as amazing as HR Frontend, your employees would be able to quickly upload files directly from your sites on their profiles, without accessing the admin dashboard.
Upload pictures, PDFs, Word files, ZIP files, spreadsheets and more of any format with WP ERP Document Manager extension.
The plugin also has detailed documentation and excellent technical support.
- Keep everything organized on your server
- Integration with WordPress HR & CRM
- Define user roles & access
- Instant search in dashboard
- Every file format supported
- Global access restricted only to owners and managers
- Restrict file sizes or keep it unlimited
- Create folders and sub-folders in any numbers
- Upload CSV, audios and videos
- List & grid view
- Multiple simultaneous file upload support
- Display logos according to file type
- View from wp dashboard
- Purchase for single, 3, 10 or even 50 sites
WPERP Document Manager starts for $39 for a single site. It is also available in $79 for 3 sites, $159 for 10 sites, and $399 for 50 sites.
OpenDocMan is an open-source document management system written in PHP and can run inside of any PHP5- enabled web server, such as Apache2. It supports MySQL 5 as a database and can be used on any type of operating system using the browser. It is a 100% web-based document management system and features an automatic installer and update.
- Support almost every type of files
- Metadata fields and categorization support
- Revision history
- File expiration
- Create custom document properties to match your companies needs
- Automated document review and file expiration process
- Fine-grained user access control
- Departmental access control for each file
- Multiple Language Support
The OpenDocMan has 2 plans – Basic USD 14 (Month),Standard USD 28 (Month). Free trial: Available.
Sentrifugo is both a full-fledged HRMS and a completely free and open source document management software, Sentrifugo provides a one-stop file management system for individuals and businesses. Sentrifugo also provides users with an intuitive UI with exceptional HR resource modules.
- Human Resources
- Talent Acquisition
- Performance Appraisal
- Employee Self-Service
- Background Checks
- Leave Management
- Service Request
- Interview Schedule
- Time Management
- Asset management
- Employee exit/separation
Sentrifugo is free to use.
5. Mayan EDMS
Mayan EDMS is a free open source electronic document management system written in Python. It uses Django web application framework and provides an electronic vault or repository for electronic documents.
It offers a central electronic document storage repository for quick and precise storage, retrieval and management of important files and documents.
- API Documentation
- Central electronic repository
- Supports All File Formats
- User and Group Management
- Efficient Dashboard
- Advanced search
- Categorization capabilities
- Access management options
- Workflow states
- Key management
- Role management
- Activity logs
Mayan EDMS offers two plans; professional and community. The professional edition provides users dedicated support and additional features.
Alfresco is an open-source Enterprise Content Management (ECM) system that manages all the content within an enterprise and provides the services and controls that manage this content. At the core of the Alfresco system is a repository supported by a server that supports content, metadata, associations, and full-text indexes.
Programming interfaces support multiple languages and protocols upon which developers can create custom applications and solutions. Out-of-the-box applications provide standard solutions such as document management, records management, and web content management.
- Multi-language support
- jBPM workflow
- Support for automatically generated XForms with AJAX
- Lucene search
The prices of Alfresco are available upon request.
OpenKM is a Java-based document management system that offers clients a web UI for managing nonspecific digital files.
OpenKM allows users to set different rules and logic to automate the process of documentation. Furthermore, this document management system is compatible with all the common file types like text, office, open office, XMS, PDF, HTML, JPEG, and several others.
- Content repo
- jBPM workflow
- Lucene indexing
- Records management
- Task automation & tracking system
- Collects information from digital sources
- Watermarks and digital signatures
- Workflow engine
- Cryptography to encrypt as well as decrypt documents
The OpenKM DMS software comes in three different versions namely professional, cloud and community. The community plan is free. The other two plans are paid versions whose prices can be obtained on a quote basis. The community version can be modified as the user wants. However, it lacks a few important features compared to the paid plans, such as, detailed knowledge base and extensive support.
SeedDMS is an easy-to-use cross-platform web-based document management system written in PHP and MySQL/sqlite3.
SeedDMS comes with a multi-level content directory that allows users to store more than 32,000 documents.
- Supports all common file types and metadata
- Offers preview images for attachments
- Comes with WebDAV access
- Efficient workflow for reviewing documents and approval
- External authentication
- Access control lists
- Users and group management
SeedDMS is free to download and use.
LogicalDOC Community Edition speeds up information storage and retrieval, user administration, team collaboration, and reporting.
- It offers a multilingual desktop and web interface
- Allows you to import from ZIP archives
- Has an internal messaging system
- Comes with excellent security policies
- Dropbox integration
- Integration with WordPress and Joomla explorers
- Support for HTTPS, CMIS, WebDAV protocols
- Events log
- Users and groups
- Document password protection
- Collaborative options
The community version is free to use but it does not have the support that the professional version offers. The price of the professional version is quotation dependent.
10. Krystal DMS
Krystal DMS offers advanced features like indexing, detailed audit and multilingual support which help you to manage your documents without any trouble.
- Offers proper email management
- Advanced auditing
- Allows you to control access.
- Provides you with the OCR feature.
- Comes with a proper workflow management feature.
The software comes in four basic editions. The community edition is free to use. The enterprise, standard and premium editions are paid versions and quotations dependent.
Open Source Document Management System are no less!
Documents are an asset to any business. Therefore, storing, accessing, and managing them should be easy. Document management software should be able to put all your documents to work more efficiently.
Open Source Document Managers are available in both free and paid forms. They are cheaper than other types of DMS and they make storing, sharing and managing a lot efficient. You can customize them as per your requirements. Access files anytime anywhere on the go. Automate workflows. Sharing is easy. And the software is always easy to use.
If you’ve more suggestions and names of open source document management systems that you consider to be one of the best, feel free to drop them in the comments!