In recent days, startup companies have preferred open-source ERP solutions to operate their businesses successfully. These platforms became popular rapidly due to their lower price and easy customization.
On the other hand, larger companies consider big-game players like SAP, Oracle, and Microsoft Dynamics to manage their business activities accordingly. But gradually, the scene is evolving. Big enterprises also turn to open-source ERP systems to minimize extra costs from a licensing, implementation, and maintenance perspective.
In this article, we have released a comprehensive list of the 11 best open-source ERP solutions for small and medium businesses.
Why should you use open-source ERP in this era?
A lot of businesses turn to open-source ERP due to its high flexibility, low maintenance cost, and user-friendly interface. Startup-mid business owners have witnessed remarkable hype in their profits after introducing an open-source ERP in their system.
An optimized ERP system unifies all the parts including employees, processes, and technology across the organization to achieve a common goal together.
Open-source enterprise resource planning broadens this concept by providing a comprehensive economic solution for all. The source code is open to all. So this type of infrastructure allows the companies to access the ERP system’s code and modify it according to their needs. Moreover, it requires no license or software maintenance costs.
Open-source ERP Benefits at a Glance
- It is easier to customize and minimize your business costs in the long run
- Simple to understand and smoothly blend with the business activities
- Contains the full content; there is no dependency on the vendor
- It is easy to train the employees and contribute to its enhancement
- It is comparatively simpler to upgrade the system than other commercial ERPs
Well, let’s walk you through the most popular and feature-rich Open source ERP solutions to pick the right one for you:
Top 11 open-source ERPs you can consider (experts’ recommendation)
There are plenty of flexible, feature-rich, and cost-effective open-source ERP systems available on the market. Here we have listed the top 11 open-source ERP solutions based on users’ reviews and our personal experience.
- WP ERP
- Apache OFBiz
1. WP ERP
WP ERP is the first full-fledged ERP (enterprise resource planning) system. It enables you to operate the business right from your WordPress dashboard. So that you can simultaneously manage your WordPress site and business from one place, WP ERP optimizes your small to medium businesses with powerful HR management, CRM, and accounting tools.
WP ERP is trusted by 10,000+ businesses in over 160 Countries with support for 20+ languages.
- 44+ Currency Support
- Gives you full control over all business activities
- A complete ERP system having three core modules: HR, CRM, and Accounting
- Manage all company information from the WordPress dashboard
- Generate productive reports and get a quick overview of the company
- Powerful extensions are available in premium plans
Most amazingly, the Core plugin and HR, CRM, and Accounting modules are free to use. Also, you can customize them depending on your business and needs. Moreover, you can unlock more premium extensions and the Project Management module with the growing demand for your business.
Nevertheless, they offer 24/7 customer support along with helpful documents and video tutorials.
Dolibarr ERP is an open-source software package for small, medium, or large companies, freelancers, or foundations to manage businesses. It started its journey in 2002. Dolibarr is written in PHP and uses PostgreSQL, MariaDB, and MySQL databases.
However, the UI of this system may not attract you that much in this modern era. But you find its functionalities useful for your business. Dolibarr supports modules to manage CRM, sales, logistics, stock, projects, invoicing, accounting, human resources, manufacturing, and others.
- Simple and user-friendly interface
- Released under GPL3
- Flexibility to enable those features only that you need
- Cross-platform (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and web-based application
- Comes with a highly customizable or modular code
Moreover, it has an app store. You can buy software from there to extend its facilities. You can also check its source code on GitHub.
The becomes popular among its users due to its clean and easy-to-adapt interface. It allows you to maintain your inventory across multiple warehouses. You can easily handle your manufacturing setup, customer relationship, and other activities through this smart ERP solution.
- easy setup system in wizard-style
- intuitive interface—fast, flexible, and scalable
- manage multiple user roles at a time
- collect information about your business using forms
- available in 70 different languages
Furthermore, you can customize the system according to your business needs.
ERP5 is written in Python and released under the GPL 3 license. This powerful open-source system was first introduced in 2002. Since then, it has been used in all parts of the world, including retail shops and government banks.
It supports a large number of modules that cover almost all the sections of an organization. Such as banking, accounting, CRM, HRM, projects, inventory, eCommerce, product data management, knowledge management, and others.
- Provides SynchML tool for data synchronization
- Supports multiple business templates, ingestion systems & web publication system
- A mobile compatible open source ERP solution
- Used by multinationals, small or large, private or public sector businesses
In addition, it provides some other features like POS, trade, forums, consulting, barcode, email marketing, invoicing, manufacturing management, and so forth.
Metafresh is an open-source software package based on Java. It can adapt to the changing demands of the marketplace. Recently, it has offered advanced services for quality assurance, warranties, training, and planning. They are committed to keeping their code simple and fresh.
As a metal GmbH, it operates on Linux, Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS platforms. It is a GPLv2/GPLv3 license-based product. You can find the source code under the GPLv2 license on GitHub and the cloud version is licensed under GPLv3.
- completely free for self-hosted customers
- easy to customize according to changing customer needs
- profitable for small and midsize business organizations
- transparent and gives a great opportunity for innovations
They have been releasing weekly updates since late 2015. Metasfresh is the ADempiere holding and has been ranked among the top 9 open-source ERP platforms by opensource.com.
BlueSeer is powerful software that comes with a comprehensive toolkit. It can cover almost all the features of small and medium-sized businesses. You can use this open-source ERP software to operate manufacturing, warehousing, and transporting industries.
- runs on platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux
- supports the English language to perform
- the multi-user version of BlueSeer is also available on SourceForge
- gives inventory control, distribution, sales, warehouse management, and EDI functionality
BlueSeer is the first universally free ERP software, with the main objective of giving freeware alternatives to companies.
MixERP is a complete package of all the advanced features that you need to run your business successfully. This multi-platform solution is developed in the C#.net language. Having all the capabilities to cope with your business needs and demands of the new era.
- Free ASP.net open-source ERP software
- Supports useful modules to manage business activities
- A cloud-based solution lets users users free from other infrastructure costs
- All devices compatible such as Windows, Mac, Linux-based systems, iPhone/iPad, Android, and web-based mobile platforms
- Available in the English language
MixERp aims to provide business management functions including wholesaling, human resources, inventory, procurement, and more.
8. Apache OFBiz
Apache OFBiz comes with a basic structure so that organizations can customize it according to their needs. The capacity for adaptation makes it suitable for all-sized enterprises that can integrate the system into their businesses. OFBiz is an advanced open-source ERP system to perform with the different parts of an organization.
It gets Apache License 2.0, and the stable version 16.11.05 release date is October 2, 2018.
- Based on Java XML Freemarker Groovy
- Supports both the web-app-based operating system and cloud-based deployment type
- Performs seamlessly on multiple platforms
- Provides a common data model with a set of business process
- Supports a powerful framework with a significant service-based approach
- Suitable for SMEs, Agencies, Enterprises & others
It has several modules, including accounting, manufacturing, HR, inventory management, CRM, e-commerce, and more. These features are compatible with any business’s growing needs.
EasyERP is an open-source platform with many useful modules to run your business. It contains CRM, HRM, purchases, inventory, expenses, reporting, account management, and more. This ERP solution provides all the essential functions required for CRM.
- Specially designed for small and medium-sized businesses
- View all the important data on dashboards
- An easy-to-use platform that helps operate your business
- Track and monitor all the incoming leads and how they’re converting into opportunities
EasyERP is user-friendly and customizable software to meet all your needs regarding business activities. It comes with an intuitive interface that is fast, flexible, and scalable.
Odoo is an open-source ERP and CRM tool. It contains a strong technical infrastructure that can work smoothly with all the apps. Firstly, it was launched back in 2005. The source code is written in Python.
Though the system is licensed under the GPL 3 license it also offers a proprietary SaaS (software as a service) for those who want to directly pay for using the service effortlessly.
Odoo offers a ton of user-friendly apps like CRP, accounting, invoices, website builder, eCommerce, email marketing, project management, inventory, and so forth.
- Provide an easy and intuitive user interface
- Reminiscent of Google Drive
- Offers an intuitive and modern UI design to work on
- Supports 3rd-party apps; developed by the Odoo community members
- Compatible with the new GDPR law
It supports helpful modules including project management, billing, accounting, inventory management, manufacturing, and purchasing. These modules can communicate with each other to process all the data effortlessly.
Tryton is a unique ERP solution that comes with some specialized features to cover all the needs of your business. It is suitable for all types and sizes of companies. It is renowned for its easy usability and user-friendly interface. They started their journey to give the best “modularity, scalability, and security”.
- Supports a 3-tier model: Tryton Database, Tryton Server, and Tryton Client
- Written in Python and uses the GTK library for its desktop users
- Provides a free demo, docker images, and prebuilt binaries
- Works smoothly on Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Available as a Python package that can be installed using pip
In addition, you can install 3rd-party modules for the system using pip as well.
Tryton provides different modules to manage CRM, finance, accounting, sales, warehouse, inventory, etc. You will get usable features for supply chains, manufacturing, and shipping. These helpful features make it suitable for factories and shops.
Pick the right open-source ERP solution for your business
Now you have several amazing open-source ERP solutions in your hands. Firstly, focus on your business needs, clients’ preferences, budget, and other factors, then consider the available solutions. It leads you to pick the perfect system that is worth your time and money.
In recent years, people have placed more emphasis on system usability and ease of use. With this continuity, WordPress ERP has become popular worldwide. As it is easy to manage and operate from the WordPress dashboard. So, employees can easily adapt to the system. Most importantly it cuts a little amount to integrate the system into your business.
Therefore, you can centralize your business data with the all-in-one WordPress tool- WP ERP.
Are you using any other ERP solution for your business? How’s your experience with this exciting system? or planning to switch to another platform? Whatever it is, don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comment section below.